AboutAnthony Shapland was born in Pontypridd, South Wales in 1971. He studied Fine Art at Southampton`s Solent University and at the Polytechnica De Belles Artes in Valencia, Spain. He spent the years following study in London and was involved in several artist led projects such as Cable Street Arts, and The Tannery.
He is one of a generation of artists that are actively engaged in the commission and presentation of work by other artists as well as continuing to produce work themselves. Returning to Wales in 1996 he founded g39, an artist run project based in the centre of Cardiff. He is responsible for the curatorial content of the gallery, but, as is the case with many artist run spaces he also acts in a number of additional roles. During this time he has continued to produce work that has been exhibited nationally and internationally.
Awards & Nominations
- Jarman Award (nominated) 2009
- Paul Hamlyn Award (shortlisted) 2009
- Cultural leadership programme, British Council 2009
- Creative Wales Award, ACW. Major research award. 2008
- Becks Futures (shortlisted artist) 2007
- Paul Hamlyn Award (shortlisted) 2007
- Arts Foundation (nominated) 2007
LocationBased in Cardiff, Wales.
- Fee: £100
- Bandwith: medium
- Latency: 28 days
Further Informationartist's website